Application for Utilities Permit

Dear Rockford Area Builders:

The purpose of this letter is to outline the steps that are required to obtain all necessary approvals for construction of single family homes within the City of Rockford. The city operates under a team approach with its contract building officials, Professional Code Inspection (PCI). PCI is responsible for handling all required building permits including structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing. The City handles all necessary zoning and soil erosion and sedimentation control permits.

  1. The first step in the process is to obtain required water and sewer permit from the City of Rockford.
  2. Once the utility permits are secured, applicants are required to complete a Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit from the City. Permit applications and instructions are included with this packet. Included with the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit must be a survey of the property showing existing proposed contours. This will allow the City to review how storm water is engineered to be handled on a given lot and to make sure the construction of an individual home site does not interrupt the design flow of water. Included within this drawing should be all existing drainage facilities and/or easements.
  3. Parallel to securing the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit, applicants must also receive a Zoning Permit Application from the City. Applications and instructions are available at City Hall. The purpose of this process is to verify that the proposed placement of the home, including setbacks meet with the zoning requirements of the City.
  4. Once the utility permits are secured as outlined above, applicants should coordinate all required building permits with Mr. Kirk Scharphorn, of PCI at 1-800/628-3335. Building permits should be dropped off at City Hall. They will be forwarded on to PCI when zoning and soil erosion applications are approved by the City.
  5. Once you are prepared to install sidewalks, you must first contact City Hall to arrange for an inspection. DPS staff will inspect the forms for proper location, width, and depth. Verification that concrete meets all City specifications must be provided. A copy of the City’s concrete specification is available at City Hall. Failure to follow this procedure could result in the removal and reinstallation of sidewalks.
  6. Prior to the granting of a Certificate of Occupancy (CO), the City will inspect the subject site for compliance with all Zoning Code regulations, soil erosion regulations and building code regulations. Request for CO will be processed through the City’s contract building officials, PCI.

During the construction of individual homes within the City, City staff and PCI will make periodic inspections of the site. It is very important that all soil erosion and sedimentation control measures included within the permit are maintained at all times. Failure to do so will result in the City requiring a performance or surety bond as allowed by ordinance. No bond will be required for those builders who strive to comply with City ordinances and maintain proper soil erosion and sedimentation control measures.

Any questions regarding this process can be directed to Mr. Kirk Scharphorn.