The City of Rockford provides a curbside yard waste collection program for our residents. The program runs throughout the "growing season"; or from the spring thaw to December 1st. This program is only avaialble for taxpayers of the City of Rockford.
The Yard Waste Collection Program is intended to provide taxpayers a means to dispose of normal yard waste. Normal yard waste includes your grass clippings, leaves and brush trimmed from trees and shrubs from your yard. Yard waste needs to be placed in bio-degradable paper yard waste bags only. Residents are allowed to place up to 10 bags curbside per week. Land clearing, large tree removal, or work done by a contractor, does not qualify for the City's yard waste collection program.
Branch chipping occurs on the east side of the river on the 1st & 3rd Monday of the month and on the west side of the river on the 2nd & 4th Monday of the month.
The Rockford Department of Public Services (DPS) crews conduct the yard waste collection weekly Spring-Fall. To see what day your pickup is, please refer to the map below.
Mid-October or later ONLY
Between mid-October and December 1st or first accumulating snowfall, residents can rake their leaves to the curb to be vacuumed up. This is the only time leaves do not need to be bagged. Other yard waste must still be bagged or it will not be picked up.
It is still highly encouraged to bag leaves as well, as this helps us move faster and more efficiently through the city.
To find out more details on the yard waste program, please refer to the yard waste brochure.
Why wasn't my yard waste picked up?
- It wasn't in biodegradable bags
- Too many bags were placed curbside
- It was heavier than 30 lbs
- It wasn't your scheduled day
- It wasn't placed out in time (before 7:00 a.m.)
- It was unapproved material- garbage, rocks, pet waste, lumber, concrete, etc.
Why weren't my branches chipped?
- They were over 6 inches in diameter
- They were under 4 feet long (smaller branches can be bagged like regular yard waste)
- It's not your chipping week (East side of the river is the 1st & 3rd Monday of the month; West side of the river is the 2nd & 4th Monday of the month).
- It was not curbside by 7:00 a.m. Monday morning on your week
- There was a root ball attached to the branch
If you're positive none of these reasons apply to you and your waste was still not picked up or chipped, contact city hall at 616-866-1537
Yard Waste Pick Up Map